Thursday, July 30, 2009

Lemon Chicken


Tonight I came home with the same thought, what should I have for dinner. I knew I had chicken breast thawed in the refig and needed to cook them before they went bad. My first thought was an easy go to recipe,lemon chicken, but the version I usually make is made with a ton of butter, flour and oil. So I decided to experiment. Ok, I've never really been good at that before, but I figured it's lemon and chicken bad can I mess it up.
So I cleaned the chicken and coated them with whole wheat flour and lemon pepper. Then I put lemon slices inbetween the chicken and threw on some rosemary and thyme on top. Cooked it for 20 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
While it was cooking I mixed together 3/4 cup of chicken broth, 1/4 cup of limecello liquor, some fresh lemon juice and salt and pepper. Usually I use 1/4 cup of oil and 3/4 cup of lemon juice, but I'm trying to be healthy here, so substituted with chicken broth.
I then turned the chicken and poured on the sauce and cooked it for another 20 minutes.
Add some 90 second rice and your dinner is done. I'm not sure what the calorie count was but it had to be much lower than the original version.
It was pretty good, I might use less herbs next time as though were pretty strong and more lemon juice than liquor. But overall a successful experiment and easy dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment