Saturday, August 29, 2009

Fastest way to an Artichoke's heart

I remember having my first artichoke in junior college. I went to a friend of a friend's house and their mom had made steamed artichokes with a delicious mayo/vinegar dip. I haven't figured out how to duplicate the dip (unfortunately never asked for the recipe or watched them make it), but I have since found a quick and simple tasty way to enjoy artichokes.
First you have to buy the right kind, big, round and closed leaves. If the leaves are open then the artichoke isn't as fresh. Luckily Safeway has been getting in huge artichokes at a pretty reasonable price. I've been having them for dinner, with dinner or just a light snack. Here is the way I enjoy them without the thirty minute wait of steaming them.

Rinse your artichoke in water and dab dry with a paper towel. Then cut in half a lemon and squeeze juice over the artichoke. Then sprinkle it with lemon pepper. Place it in a plastic vegetable bag (or the new steamer bags if it will fit). Tie it closed and put it in the microwave on HIGH for 5 minutes. If its an extra big one I will add another 30 seconds or so.
As it cooks in the microwave in a small dipping dish combine mayo, fresh squeezed lemon juice (use the other half of the one you used for the artichoke) and sprinkle with lemon pepper. Mix together until all combined.
I usually let the artichoke sit for a few minutes after cutting the bag open to cool down. Then plate and enjoy.
I usually eat it with rice pilaf (one of my friends thinks this is a odd combo but it works for me) or have some garlic bread with it. But mostly I just eat it alone and often. When it's that quick and easy why not.

No comments:

Post a Comment