Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Hunger Busting Chili

Last week at our company's annual Chili cook-off I got pre-taste of one contestants chili as I went in for my morning oatmeal. Already by 9am the smell of spices and meat were thick in the air and I could smell it from my cube around the corner. Most of the chili's are red and thick with sauce and meat, but my friend Jenny's was more clear and full of ground turkey. The smell of cinnamon and cumin struck me first and then I couldn't wait to try it. A healthy chili, yes it's true and yes it's very good. At the cook-off I filled my dish up with her chili along with samples of others. Jenny ended up winning most colorful, but I think it should have won most unique and tasty category. I asked her immediately for the recipe and even took leftovers home with me and had them for dinner the next night.
I got the recipe from her and couldn't believe how simple the ingredients were. She said for a double recipe the cost was about $30 for 12 servings. Not bad. I decided to make it up tonight so all the yummy spices and flavors could soak in for a great lunch tomorrow, and from the looks of it many after.
First you will notice is the smell, it's sweet and cinnamony (its a new description). I made the regular amount and it looks like enough chili to last a few days and nights. Which is good since I'm on a budget and need to eat healthier. In this chili you have 3 beans (chickpeas, black beans and kidney beans) and ground turkey so LOTS of protein in there (30g in fact). It's low fat (5g) and low calorie (292 a serving). I used the low sodium beans and chicken broth to keep it less salty. But overall the taste is great and if you have some artisan bread to dip in it, it's a perfect new healthy chili to enjoy all winter. Now if they weather would just realize it's fall and not be 80 degrees in November it would be perfect.

Recipe:
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 small white onion chopped
1 lb lean ground turkey
1 can diced tomatoes with jalapenos (or chilis in this case)
1 10.5 oz can each of chickpeas, kidney beans and black beans, drained
1 can low sodium chicken broth
1/4 tsp each salt and cumin
1/8 tsp each cinnamon and cayenne pepper

In a large pot, heat the oik on medium-low heat. Add the oino and saute until soft (about 3 mins). Add the turkey and brown it (5 minutes). Add the remaining ingredients. Stir and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Top with low-fat shredded cheddar, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment