Monday, July 5, 2010

Mendocino Coast

This last week I took off work for some much needed downtime and decided to do a bit of a stayaction and daytrips then spend the money on one big trip (plus I had NO money for an actual vacation). I was also looking for any excuse to get out of the Sacramento heat as it was the first time we officially hit 100 degrees this year.
I decided to head up Hwy 1 from Bodega Bay to Mendocino/Fort Bragg with the dogs, as the last time I was up there (about 10 years ago) it was a spur of the moment in which I threw Maggie in the car with no real direction of where I was going and ending up sleeping in the car at a campsite in Mendocino, not realizing how LONG it takes to get up there. So I figured this would be a good trip for Maggie to do again and Charlie to take for the first time. Also I know Mendocino is super dog friendly, as my friend Rhonda takes vacations with her family and dog out there every year.
I was luckily to find a cheap "motel" that didn't charge much for the dogs to stay overnight (Shoreline Cottages in Fort Bragg), as some places boosted about being dog friendly, but charging up to $50 a dog!!!
Before I could leave, my mom decided to tag along (why not it was her birthday that week and figured I would need someone to hold onto the dogs as I take photos). We headed off bright and early on Sunday and took off towards Hwy 1. We were lucky and hit NO traffic and quickly got to Bodega Bay by 11am. We let the dogs have their first of many pitstops.

First Pit Stop

While Maggie is a dream dog for roadtrips, she usually just lays down and falls asleep until you tell her it's time to get out of the car. Charlie on the other hand has never really spent more than an hour in the car. While it took us about 2 hours to get to Bodega Bay, he didn't settle down ONCE! Every time we slowed the car down for a turn (if you ever driven Hwy 1 you know how twisty and turning the road gets). He spent his time in the car like a little kid asking if we are there yet. Huffing and puffing and sometimes barking thinking it was time to get out. But I guess I should count myself lucky that he doesn't get carsick.

Maggie and Charlie enjoy the carride

A quick stop to play in the sand

We made several stops along the way and it ended up taking us over 6 hours to finally make it to Fort Bragg. We tried to first hit up Mendocino for food, but even after playing on the beach, Charlie was still amped up and barked at every dog that was behaving themselves in the town. So we decided to go check in and then end out for some food.
I've never really spent time in Fort Bragg, but I thought it was a bit bigger than it actually was. Between draggin two tired dogs along with you and finding an open restaurant on a Sunday evening proved challenging. We ended up getting chinese takeout from the local market and went back to the room and ate. Luckily the rooms were more like tiny cottages stocked with everything you can think of. They even gave me 2 dog beds, a basket of towels for them, bowls and treats. We headed back out after dinner to catch the "magic hour" along the coastline and tried to find the famous glass beach (found the beach but no real glass to speak of).

Charlie finds the light
Fort Bragg
Maggie takes a rest

Glass Beach

Charlie finally takes a break

The dogs slept great, Charlie on the bed as usual and Maggie curled up on one of the dogbeds provided. The next morning we got another early start and headed out to the Mendocino Botanical Gardens, which was less than a mile from the motel. Unfortunately, Maggie had enough walking and decided to sit out the gardens. We found a perfect spot in the shade, rolled down some windows and took Charlie on the tour instead. The gardens are 47 acres of flowers, trees, shrubs and the only botanical gardens with a coastal view. Most of the flowers were not in bloom, but the ocean view is worth the $10 entry fee alone. Even though we never lived by the ocean, I always feel more at home when sitting there listening to the waves crash and watching the birds fly over. We saw a large group of pelicans fly overhead and just sat there and took in the breath taking views.
Botanical Gardens
Charlie checks out the Dehlia garden
Trail to the ocean
Ocean view


Pelicans fly overhead

Trail back to the entrance

After about an hour and half we checked back in on Maggie who was still sleeping away the day and wasn't in any hurry for her next walk. Mom and I grabbed lunch at the little cafe and then headed off to Mendocino, since that was my actual goal of the roadtrip. We first did a drive-by of the town and then found another perfect spot to park the car in the shade and left both dogs in the car, as it's just easier than having Charlie bark and pull at every dog that tries to walk by. We duck into a few shops and bought some souvenirs. I was bummed to find out the Mendocino Cookie Company was no longer in the town (it's back up in Fort Bragg). I guess after the mother died, the kids spilt it up and it's no longer in the town of Mendocino. Instead I drown my cookie sorrows at the Chocolate Haus with some dark chocolate and peanut butter bar.

Someone's actual front yard

We decided to take the trail along the coast right in town and see more breath taking views. I just love this place. Mom proclaims this as her favorite place we have visited. While it reminds me so much of Monterey, it is less touristy (probably because it's a lot harder to get to) and more peaceful.

We head back to the car and take one more last drive along the coast before hitting Hwy 20 to head back home. Another 4 hours and we arrive, tired but grateful to have missed the hottest day of the year and saw such beauty!

Dogs ready for the carride home

No comments:

Post a Comment