Saturday, August 15, 2009

Doggy Spa Day

This morning I let the dogs out for their morning potty and greeting of the neighborhood wildlife. Maggie and Charlie stood at the door waiting enthusiastically to come inside and get their morning cookies. I noticed Maggie looking more brown than black and thought this is a good time to give them both a bath as I stood with the hose in my hand from watering the the plants.
Now I don't know how other dogs do with bathtime but mine don't seem to enjoy it that much. First is the ritual of getting the leash and shampoo outside without them thinking it's time for a walk. Usually though when I attach the leash to one and walk them over to the grass they seem to catch onto my plan.
First up was Maggie as she was the dirtiest. The water was nice and cold and she did not appreciate it at all. What happened next looked like a scene from the movie Silkwood as Maggie acted like I was scrubbing her down with a wool brush and chemicals (it was actually my hands and lavender scented shampoo). As she tried to make her escape I turned the hose on her and tried to take as much soap off before she broke loose from my grip and ran free, shaking off the excess water and soap.
Charlie watched in horror, knowing his time was next, luckily he gets more humiliated than terrified. He just stands there and takes it like a man (ok, more like a mama's boy). I think he puts up with the bath just to get the rub down from the towel afterward. This seems to be his favorite part of the bath and almost chokes himself as he tangles himself in the towel trying to get dry.
The bad part for me is that I usually have to let them air dry in the house because if I leave them outside Maggie will just end up rolling back in the dirt and come out dirty than before. So then my house smells like wet dog for the day, but I get one day of pretty clean pampered looking dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment