Saturday, September 12, 2009

A job I love

Yesterday at work I got to talking to someone who I haven't seen in awhile and having a deep conversation about life and goals all while at the bathroom sink. They questioned if the job I'm doing is something I really want to be doing, I guess they could hear the lack of enthusiasm in my voice when I answered how's it going? She asked me what I would like to do if say money was no option. Easy answer - photography and travel. We talked a while about why we do the jobs we do and not the jobs we love; mortgage, bills and responsibilities is always my answer. But what if we could all do the jobs we loved and earned the money to live the lives we wanted? That is the true quest I think for everyone. Very few people actually get to wake up in the morning actually looking forward to the day and get paid enough to sustain their lifestyle. The majority of us try to find a job that will pay our bills and hope it's enough motivate us to get dressed in the morning, all the while looking forward to the weekends and vacation to do what we actually love..
I know a lot of people who are out of jobs right now and wondering how they will make their next mortgage or rent payment and think I should just be lucky I have a job, which I very much grateful for at this time. But it did get me thinking why don't I try to work towards doing something I love and hope the money will follow. Not to say I would ever quit my current job without a steady income and security knowing my hobby will afford me the lifestyle I want.
Recently I found a site and blog I visit almost daily, one just because it makes me smile and two because I'm jealous and wish this was my current job. Shine Pet Photography is pet portraits that will melt your heart and then make you wish you had photos of your pets like this. Grace Chon is a photographer in So.CA who started in Biology of all things and then worked in advertising and now pet portraiture. http://www.shinepetphotos.com/blog gives me inspiration that one day maybe I too can make photographing the things I love; my pets, animals, travels and everyday life into an actual paying job. Be sure to check out her website and blog. The blog will have photos from sessions on there posted pretty regularly.
So today as the weather took an odd turn on us and clouds brought rain while it's still over 90 degrees out, I decided to grab my point and shoot and take some portraits of my favorite subjects, my dogs. Here are a few of my favorites from today and in hope of one day getting my Nikon D90 and turning this hobby of mine into an actual life I want.

Maggie finds her light
Wondering what is outside
The rare occasion she is allowed on the couch
Such sweet little paws
Couldn't get either one of them to actually look at the camera directly
Charlie takes his turn at the window


No comments:

Post a Comment