Thursday, September 10, 2009

Easiest Chinese Chicken Salad

Tonight I got home from a long day at work, catching up with all my Folsom office buddies I haven't seen in awhile as I've been stuck down in our Arden office for what seems like MONTHS. I hadn't really planned a meal and that is usually when I look at the dogs for confirmation about wanting to go for a ride through a drive-thru. Instead I looked in my frig to see what I could come up with and then remembered a Chinese chicken salad recipe in the Food That You Crave cookbook. Monday I had cut and browned a chicken breast I had left in the refrig from the weekend and then pulled out the last of the scallions and had a bag of coleslaw cabbage mix. I put this dinner together during a commercial break (can't miss a bit of Project Runway).
I took the coleslaw mix which is already chopped into great bite sizes. put the chicken cubes in a bowl along with 1 tbl low sodium soy sauce and 1/2 tsp of sesame oil and mixed it around and add it to the chicken in small bowl. I then found some slivers of almonds I had in the back of the pantry.
For the dressing I used 1/2 cup of rice vinegar, 3tbl soy sauce, 2 tbl canola oil, 2 tbl brown sugar and 1 1/2tsp of sesame oil. Whisk it up and then toss the cole slaw mix with chopped scallions (3), the flavored chicken and then topped it all off with almonds and chow mien noodles for extra crunch.
It was great and quick. Like the magnet on my freezer door says, If you are what you eat then I'm fast, cheap and easy! If you have some mandarin oranges to throw in there is would be fabulous, but I did not.
I put the the remainig scallions in a small tupperware and the same with the remaining dressing and will have it again for dinner tomorrow night. Now I'll just need to think of a good Friday night dessert to go along with it. Did I hear the dogs say Baskin Robbins has a drive-thru?

No comments:

Post a Comment