Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Tomato and Garlic Crouton Salad

I read a version of this in the Homemade Table, but then when I was watching my new favorite cooking show What would Brian Boitano Make, I figured I would give his version a try. It was from the show with the handyman and Brian wanted into his super duper dinner club, but you had to cook for your entry into the club. Now if you haven't see the show, its worth a good laugh and a lot of good recipes so far. Very campy as my friend Randy described it. I LOVE camping, especially with gay guys, so that is probably why I watch it every Sunday morning and then start planning a dinner party of my own afterwards.
Anyways onto the recipe. His was to be a more Italian influence so he made it with mozzarella cheese, where I used goat cheese (mostly because that is what I had in the refrig). First you are to combine olive oil, butter and garlic over a low heat which makes your house smell delicious. I could have just stopped right there. You then cube up some artisan bread or ciabatta bread, it calls for in his recipe and then pour the yummy garlicy oil mixture over it and toss. Then you put the bread in the over to toast. Meanwhile you cut up the tomatoes and mix together olive oil and red wine vinegar for the dressing. In the end you toss them all together with the cheese and then eat.
I LOVED it. I would suggest maybe letting the bread cool down a bit more than I did, as the cheese melted around it pretty quick and it soaked up the majority of the dressing. But it's like having good bread dipped in a garlic olive oil and vinegar mixture at Italian restaurant. I'm sure it won't keep very well until tomorrow but I could only eat so much (had it with my other favorite - Artichoke for dinner).
My refrigerator is new looking like it's something after Thanksgiving with all the tupperware filled with left over soup, chicken I precooked to toss in another salad, and now tomato/bread salad. I took the leftover cake from yesterday to work as I knew I couldn't (and shouldn't) eat it all myself. Luckily it was gone within 2 hours. I swear sometimes I wonder if these people ever eat at home the way they inhale free food. In our Folsom office it's even worse, we had to actually send out a notice to the all staff telling them to wait until the free food has been moved into the break room and no longer walk into a meeting to get it yourself. Shocking the manners of some adults. At least in Arden office there are fewer people so fewer vultures and the food seems to disappear at a less alarming rate. Either way I'm just glad I didn't have to eat the whole cake.
So here is Brian's recipe. I didn't include oilves as I HATE them, only love olive oil. And again let the bread cool completely before adding it to the tomato and cheese mixture as it will be more crispy and not absorb the dressing as quickly.

  • 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus 1/4 cup
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 loaf ciabatta bread, cut into small cubes
  • 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 2 pints red and yellow, grape and pear tomatoes, sliced in 1/2
  • 1 cup halved, sliced kalamata olives
  • 1/2 pound perlini mozzarella
  • 8 basil leaves, chopped

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

In a small skillet over medium-low heat, add 3 tablespoons olive oil, the butter, garlic, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper, to taste. Cook to infuse the butter and oil with the garlic, about 4 minutes.

Add the cubed bread to a large bowl, pour the butter and garlic mixture over the bread and toss to coat. Transfer to a sheet tray and bake until crisp, about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.

In a small bowl whisk together the remaining olive oil and red wine vinegar and set aside.

In a large serving bowl, combine the tomatoes, olives, mozzarella, croutons, basil, and the oil and vinegar mixture. Gently toss to coat all the tomatoes and croutons. Let the salad sit for 10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment