Saturday, July 23, 2011

Isn't nature beautiful?

Well here a visual update of my garden. It continues to amaze me every night as I go out to water. Unfortunately I've had one casuality, the tomatillo (Mexican Green Tomatoes) plant. It never produced more than flowers and after researching online it apparently needed another plant to cross pollinate with. Which was too bad as it grew so big and tall and had about 100 flowers on it.
Also I think my corn has stopped growing. It's hasn't gotten any taller and doesn't look it will grow up big and strong and be ready for a grill anytime soon. I might be because the ground over there isn't as fertile since the tree was mostly growing there. Oh well I figure so far not bad for my first garden.
I'm super excited about my eggplant. Chris at work was telling me eggplant prices have jumped this year as they had bad crops, so my black beauties will be worth something to share with others.
And I'm finally seeing actually lemon cucumbers emerge. If the amount of flowers is any indication of how many I'll get, I'll be giving some of those away too! I'm not sure how long zucchini produce from but I'm certainly glad I only have one plant as it continues to give me at least 2-4 a week to pick.

Zucchini continuing to blossom
A bee finds a blossom to pollinate with
A big black beauty of an eggplant was hidden under some leaves
I think I finally see some color change on my tomatoes
(this is one from my co-worker Monica who grew it from seed)

The beginning of what I hope is many lemon cucumbers
More black beauties beginning to drop
Perfect Pearl Tomatoes

No comments:

Post a Comment